Sunday, April 15, 2012

Quotes from the Lesser-Known: Part 2



'What inspired you to get into theatre?' 
'My friend pressured me into auditioning for the school play. I was sick and unwilling to fight so I did and I managed to score one of the lead roles. Prior to that I was simply happy being an audience member captivated by what took place onstage.  But when I realized I could be a part of that experience as well and present truthfully to people that which isn't true, I fell in love with it. I know I sound like a sociopathic liar but I'm not, honest. Life is about telling stories, and telling them well.' 
'Was there a particular pivotal moment, or experience?' 
'One life-changing experience was when I went to watch a tiny production of Oliver Twist. Cast of 5 and only 2 major props which doubled as a boat, door, coffin, gallows, Fagin's underground shithole for runaways and other assorted naughty children, etc. Every single one of the songs were sung in 5-part harmony and it was fantastic. I think I was 14 when I watched it. I stayed back to congratulate Fagin and when I saw him up close, my mind was blown to see how a skinny, 6-foot-tall man could have been so many things on that stage. I think I still have that ticket with me.'

Elizabeth Mak, 19
High school thespian 

No comments: