Friday, September 06, 2013

Everything in Transit





Songs for Long Train Rides
& places in between


Tiderays - Volcano Choir
Sarah - The New Limb
Everything Is Gonna Be Undone - Band of Horses
She Paints Me Blue - Something Corporate
Seeds - Brooke Fraser
The Midnight Sun Never Sets - Quincy Jones
For Emma - Bon Iver
Byegone - Volcano Choir
Give Me Jesus - Matt Stinton 
Coming Train - The Sam Willows
Big Wave Goodbye - Said The Whale
Grow Till Tall - Jonsi
Sophia - Laura Marling
The Girl - City & Colour

__________________________________________________________



I just came back from a weekend spent in Stockholm a couple of days ago. I went with a dear friend, Jennifer, & we did a multitude of things: visited the amazing open-air museum Skansen, went to the bohemian Sodermalm district to buy new records & tea, & even took a bus up to Uppsala for fika & long walks by the city's river. It was absolutely lovely.

On Monday evening though, we finally had to say goodbye & go our separate ways, her to Singapore & myself back to Linkoping. I honestly loved that entire weekend & all the things we did but as I sat there in the bus, plugged into new music & with a cappuccino in hand, I felt such a strange & undefinable peace. People get restless or bored on long train or bus rides, but I somehow don't. I like how there's a certain kind of music to listen to on occasions like these. I like watching the sun dip across the Swedish horizon, gazing into space as the sky changes from hues of bright orange to pink to dark purple. Travelling, in the verb sense of the word, offers a state of transition, a certain sort of limbo where you're not really in one place or another but somewhere in between, & I love that feeling. It's something very precious, these few hours of solitude for nobody but yourself. People always say that it's not the destination that's important, but the journey & it may seem like a cliché but I agree all the same :)



More on Stockholm & school & a new home & other things soon.

No comments: