Saturday, October 29, 2011

Once a hoarder...




My dad has always been a hoarder. It's not uncommon that I'll come home and he would proudly show me a new knick-knack; a stained-glass lamp from one his grateful business customers, or a pair of army boots that he got for half-price at a long forgotten shop. His latest find was a set of beautifully-carved wine crates that used to hold bottles of premium Shiraz wine, picked up from our void deck! I loved them. One of the crates sits just beside my bed, home to a few weathered classics and beat poetry collections. Honestly, I'm just as bad as him.

No one (including my dad and I), however, beats Lisa Congdon. An illustrator and self-professed hoarder from San Francisco, she decided to chronicle her numerous collections last year in a blog. Entitled 'A Collection A Day', it showcased a hefty 365 assortment of vintage trinkets and curios, carefully arranged and documented. Besides the obligatory sets of stamps or matchbooks, odd bits and ends surface into whole collections, like the tiny plastic tabs which keep your loaves of bread fresh. I can only imagine what her house looks like!

The collected works are nonetheless lovely, old-timey and antiquated. One gets the feeling of stepping out of a musty book, or the back of a dusty shelf. You can visit the original blog, or order Lisa's CollectionADay book from bigcartel here.

No comments: