Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The coming of age

I used to detest hearing people go on about work all the time, but now I totally understand. It's so bizarre feeling 'old'. Work, rockafella practices, meetings, family, church commitments and worst of all, A-level results just around the corner... It's going to be a tough couple of days. Yet, every week I ask God to help me pull through and I do. Sometimes all you have to do is laugh in the face of life and it'll all be better :)

Found a collection of 'World's Worst Metaphors' and it certainly got me laughing. For definitions sake, metaphors are used to put connotative meanings to phrases and not to state the obvious, the literal, and the hopelessly stupid. Here are the top picks...

Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two other sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master.

Her eyes were like two brown circles with big black dots in the centre.

John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.

The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for while.

She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature British beef.


How I would love to use all of these gems is a single essay.

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA those 'metaphors' are gold! (Hi stace!)